When Your Loved One Dies Without a Will

Posted by Sara Doty | Jul 22, 2019 | 0 Comments

 If your loved one has died leaving property and there is no valid Will you may be worried about how assets will be distributed. Contrary to popular belief, dying without a Will does not mean that the State takes your property. Alabama has enacted statutes, called intestacy laws, that set forth the specific provisions for the distribution of an estate when someone dies without a Will. You will still need to have an administrator appointed to oversee the estate and protect any assets. The administrator will have to have a bond.An administrator has the duty to act with good faith, diligence and honesty on behalf of the estate, including an obligation to the estate's heirs to properly preserve the assets of the estate, pay the legitimate debts of the decedent, pay taxes due and distribute assets to the appropriate heirs. The administrator will also have to submit a final accounting to the court before the estate can be closed.

Our office can assist you in handling the complicated matters when your loved one dies without a Will. We will file all necessary documents required by the probate court and will be your advocate in all hearings or proceedings throughout the process.

If your family member has passed away without a Will, we would love to sit down with you and answer your questions. Contact our office at (256) 519-9970 to schedule an appointment.

About the Author

Sara Doty

SARA JONES DOTY Sole Practitioner Location :Huntsville, Alabama Phone:256-519-9970 Fax : 256-519-9952 Email : Email Me Sara is passionate about helping families plan for the future and protect what is most important to them. This includes implementing estate plans, as well as assisting clie...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


We are here to help. Contact Sara Doty Attorney at law, LLC to find out how we can help you with your Estate Planning, Probate, Adoption, Name Change, Family Law / Divorce and Bankruptcy Law needs. Contact us either by using the contact form or by calling us at 256-519-9970 for your free initial consultation.